Nectarine And Berry Popsicles

During the summer, you'll find me on my hands and knees at outdoor flea markets and brocantes, searching through boxes jam-packed with stuff, because you never know what you'll find. I'm especially interested in finding vintage French baking items, though I've learned that all those pretty little tin tart molds are better left to clutter someone else's kitchen drawers. I have to leave those kinds of treasures behind because I can't use them for sharing recipes because I'm guessing not many of you have a set of 8 to 10 French mini barquette molds.

While I've had to restrain myself from purchasing mini tart pans and savarin rings, ceramic kugelhof molds (the first time I found one, I was overjoyed, but later trips to flea markets revealed that they're pretty common...and cheap), various small, brightly-colored kitchen appliances from the 1950s and small cordial glasses, I realized that once you have a set, Despite the fact that it has never stopped me before.

Last summer, however, I was ecstatic to discover these completely insane popsicle molds with brightly colored handles at a special in the French countryside. They were only €1, and the seller seemed eager to get them off her hands, so I gladly obliged. I don't believe they were ever used, and they were still in their original box. They're supposed to be used with "Alsaglace," an ice cream mix, but I don't see why they couldn't be used with a homemade mixture. What was also cool was that there was a notice inside (below) saying that if you sent them a friend's mailing address and 7,50 francs, they'd send them a set as well. I suppose they'd encourage them to buy their ice cream mix as well.


XEM THÊM :

Liên hệ trực tiếp đến bộ phận chat trực tuyến


I made bâtonnets glacés, also known as glaces à l'eau or ice pops, because it's summer and I know most of you can get popsicle molds. Not only was I proud of my "find," but I was also proud of the eco-friendliness of these molds, which were made of metal rather than plastic. I know that if there is even a speck of plastic in something I photographed, I will be informed. So these are mostly metal, which I hope is okay. I tried my hardest.

However, the metal molds proved difficult to remove the popsicles from. Waving them over a gas flame aided in getting the popsicles out. When I did, I had to place them on a small baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and place them back in the freezer to firm up. Yes, I'll reuse the plastic wrap as usual. And, yes, not a single plastic bag is thrown away around my house until it has been used, and used, and used, and used, until it can no longer be used. I also recycle paper towels.

The popsicles, which were made with white nectarine puree and dotted with tangy raspberries and blueberries, turned out beautifully and were extremely refreshing during last week's heatwave. I used white nectarines, but you could also use yellow nectarines, peaches, apricots, plums, or melon. Two cups (500ml) of popsicle mixture was the perfect amount for the molds, but check the capacity of yours; if your popsicle molds are larger, increase the recipe accordingly.

This summer, I've resolved to avoid flea markets and antique stores that might tempt me to stock my car trunk and kitchen cabinets with more kitchenware. I've passed on several vintage ice cream machines because I already have one that works well. And I have enough ice cream scoops to outfit an entire ice cream shop.

And, thankfully, you don't need an ice cream machine for this recipe, but I may cave and buy a set of those slick silicone popsicle molds because I see more popsicles in my future, and I promise to use it over and over and over again.

Popsicles with Nectarine-Berry

This batch yielded approximately 2 cups (500ml) of popsicle filling. As a result, you can adjust the recipe to fit whatever size popsicle molds you have. You can adjust the sugar to your preference or to taste. However, if you use more than I did, the popsicles will not freeze as hard. The liqueur is added to keep the berries soft, but it can be left out if people are allergic to alcohol or you're serving these to children. It's a small amount that is barely noticeable. You can also add more berries to the popsicle molds if you want.

4 popsicle servings

1 pound (450g) nectarines, or approximately 3 medium or 4 small nectarines (yellow or white)
125ml (half a cup) water
1 teaspoon sugar plus 3 tablespoons
lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3/4 cup (100g) raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, or a combination of the three
1 teaspoon maraschinos, kirsch, vodka, or gin (optional)
  1. Cook the nectarines in a saucepan with the water, partially covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons sugar and a few drops lemon juice. Allow to cool before pureeing in a blender or food processor. Refrigerate until ready to use.

  2. To make the popsicles, toss the berries with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and maraschino liqueur (if using), slightly mushing them up with your fingers. Not only will this aid in the absorption of the sugar and liqueur, but it will also result in streaky swirls in the popsicles.

  3. Divide the berries among the molds and top with the nectarine mixture. Freeze until solid.














READ ARTICLES:











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salad With Cobb

Mango sago recipe